Your Great Get Together can look however you want! Feel free to be creative with the format of your event and take a look at our list of ideas. However, in all instances, we ask you to follow the safety guidelines for social distancing:
Looking for socially distant Great Get Together ideas? Here are a few of our own:
In your street or neighbourhood:
- Community singalong: pick a song, share lyrics, and schedule a time to step outside and sing together
- Wishing Trees: leave a tupperware out with labels and pens for people to leave their wishes for a post Covid world
- Pass it on stories or poetry: write a line, send it to a neighbour to add a line and so on.
- Chalk pavement obstacle course: get chalk and get creative outside your house
- Create an intervention on your pavement: a woman in Michigan created her own “Ministry of Silly Walks” outside her home to create a space for something silly. What could you create outside of yours?
- Start a collaborative chalk art mural: invite passersby to add their bit
- Run a dance/exercise class outside for your neighbours to join in
- Community recipe book: share a recipe per household and create a recipe book
- Organise a dance competition in your cul-de-sac
- Weekend wave: everyone comes outside at the same time to wave and say hello
- Have your own Bake-Off: bake and present your masterpiece to your community for judging
- Share a garden: grow one type of vegetable and get the community to do the same. Share what you grow and perhaps use it to make the same recipe
- Street disco: set a time and day on your street, take requests, and turn it up!
- Home front morning coffee: share a cuppa over the hedge or balcony
- Design a Treasure Hunt (think of things to hide in your windows and gardens children could find on their daily walks)
- Send postcards or deliver flyers of encouragement along your street
On the phone or virtually:
- Take a walk for someone who can’t: call someone isolated on your daily walk and describe what you see, smell, hear, and feel
- Organise a telephone tree to reach those most isolated
- Set up a Whatsapp group for your street to stay connected
- Call an old friend
- Host an album listening party
- Have a virtual Open Mic night
- Use the House Party app and invite your whole street to tune in
- Story Circle over Zoom and share your thoughts and wishes for a post Covid world
Let us know any other unique and bright ideas you think of!
Below are answers to a lot of commonly asked questions. Got a question that isn’t answered here? Get in touch at [email protected]